Spoiler: it's 2023 - forget about bots, follow for follow and other old shady tactics. They don't work anymore.
There could be several reasons why your Instagram account isn't growing. Some common reasons include:
Reason 1. Lack of engagement
If you're not receiving many likes or comments on your posts, it can be difficult to attract new followers. There could be several reasons why you are experiencing a lack of engagement on Instagram. Some common reasons include:
- Poor quality content: If your photos and videos are poorly lit, out of focus, or not visually interesting, it can be difficult to attract engagement.
- Not posting at the right time: If you're not posting when your audience is most active, it can be difficult to get engagement on your posts.
- Not using the right hashtags: If you're not using relevant hashtags, it can be hard for people to find your content and engage with it.
- Not responding to comments: If you're not responding to comments, it can make it difficult for people to build a relationship with you and continue to engage with your content.
- Not asking for engagement: If you're not asking people to like, comment or share your post, it can be hard to get engagement.
- Not including calls to action: If you're not including calls to action in your captions, it can be hard to get engagement.
- Not running Instagram ad campaigns: running Instagram ad campaigns can help you reach new audiences and increase your engagement.
- Not creating content that resonates with your target audience: if your content is not resonating with your target audience, it can be difficult to get engagement.
It's important to remember that engagement is not only about likes and comments, but also about the reach, shares and website clicks that your posts generates. It's also important to focus on creating quality content, engaging with your followers, and building a relationship with your audience to increase engagement on your Instagram account.
Reason 2: Posting infrequently
If you're not posting regularly, it can be hard to keep your existing followers engaged and attract new ones.
The frequency at which you should post on Instagram depends on your goals, audience, and the type of content you're sharing.
For most brands and businesses, it's recommended to post 1-2 times per day. Posting too frequently can be overwhelming for followers and can lead to a decrease in engagement. Posting too infrequently can make it difficult to keep your followers engaged and attract new ones.
However, the optimal posting frequency may vary based on your audience and industry. If you're in a highly competitive industry, you may need to post more frequently to stay visible. If you're in a less competitive industry, you may be able to post less frequently.
It's important to find the right balance for your account, you can start posting 1-2 times per day, then you can monitor your engagement, and adjust your posting frequency accordingly. Keep in mind that quality is more important than quantity, so it's better to post one high-quality post than several low-quality ones.
It's also a good idea to use Instagram's built-in analytics tools to track the performance of your posts and adjust your posting schedule accordingly. This will help you understand what types of content and posting frequency resonates best with your audience.
Reason 3: Lack of content variety
If you're only posting one type of content, it can be hard to appeal to a broad audience and attract new followers. There are several types of content that you can post on your business Instagram account to engage with your audience and promote your brand. Some popular types of content include:
- Product photos and videos: Share high-quality photos and videos of your products to showcase what you have to offer.
- Behind the scenes content: Share a behind-the-scenes look at your business operations, such as photos and videos of your team at work.
- Customer testimonials: Share customer testimonials in the form of text posts, photos, or videos to build trust and credibility with your audience.
- Educational content: Share educational content related to your industry, such as how-to videos, infographics, and blog posts.
- User-generated content: Share user-generated content, such as customer photos and videos, to showcase your happy customers and show the real-life application of your products or services.
- Promotions and discounts: Share promotions, discounts and special offers to attract new customers and retain existing ones.
- Live videos: Share live videos to connect with your audience in real-time, answer questions and showcase your brand's personality.
- Influencer collaborations: Collaborate with other influencers in your industry to expand your reach and reach new audiences.
Keep in mind that it's important to mix up the types of content you're posting, to keep your followers engaged and to showcase the different aspects of your brand. Also, it's important to have a consistent visual aesthetic to maintain a cohesive look and feel across your Instagram account.
Reason 4: Poor use of hashtags
If you're not using relevant hashtags or using too many irrelevant hashtags, it can be hard to reach new people who are interested in your content.
To choose the right hashtags on Instagram, follow these tips you should use hashtags that accurately describe the content of your post. You can use a mix of popular and niche hashtags to reach a larger audience while still targeting specific groups.
Always check the number of posts under a hashtag to make sure it is not too crowded or too niche. Experiment with different hashtags and track which ones drive the most engagement on your posts. Use tools such as Sprout Social to find related hashtags and discover new ones.
Some hashtags examples:
- Use a mix of broad and specific hashtags: A broad hashtag like #photography can reach a large audience, while a specific hashtag like #landscapephotography can attract a more targeted group of users who are interested in that specific genre of photography.
- Research popular hashtags: Use tools like Hashtagify or Keyhole to see which hashtags are trending and popular in your industry. This can help you identify which hashtags to use to reach a larger audience.
- Create your own branded hashtags: Creating your own branded hashtags like #YourBrandName or #YourBrandNameCommunity can help you build a community around your brand and increase engagement on your posts.
- Track the performance of your hashtags: Use Instagram's built-in Insights feature or third-party tools to track the performance of your hashtags and see which ones are driving the most engagement. This can help you identify which hashtags to use in the future.
- Be aware of Instagram's rules: Instagram has a limit of 30 hashtags per post, so make sure you are using them effectively. Also, using irrelevant or banned hashtags can hurt your engagement and even get your account penalized.
Reason 5: Not using Instagram Stories
Posting Instagram Stories for your business can be a great way to increase engagement and reach on the platform.
Instagram Stories are a powerful tool for businesses because they allow you to showcase your brand's personality and values, which can help increase brand awareness and attract new followers.
Instagram stories also provide a great opportunity to promote your products or services by showcasing them in action, offering discounts or highlighting customer testimonials. They also give you a chance to interact with your audience through features like Q&A or polls and to share user-generated content which can help increase engagement and build a community around your brand.
Additionally, Instagram stories also allow you to drive traffic to your website and leverage Instagram's features like IGTV, Live, Boomerang etc. to make your stories more engaging. Overall, Instagram stories can be a valuable addition to your social media marketing strategy and can help you achieve your business goals.
Using Instagram Stories for your business can be a great way to increase engagement and reach on the platform. Here are a few tips for using Instagram Stories for your business:
- Use Instagram Stories to showcase behind-the-scenes content: Instagram Stories are a great way to give your followers a glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes of your business. This can include footage of your team at work, the making of your products, or a sneak peek of upcoming events or promotions.
- Use Instagram Stories to promote your products or services: Instagram Stories provide a great opportunity to promote your products or services by showcasing them in action, offering discounts, or highlighting customer testimonials.
- Use Instagram Stories to host a Q&A or poll: Instagram Stories has features like Q&A or polls to interact with your audience. This can be a great way to get feedback from your followers or answer any questions they may have about your business.
- Use Instagram Stories to share user-generated content: Sharing user-generated content on your Instagram Stories can help increase engagement and reach by showcasing your customers using your products or services.
- Use Instagram Stories to drive traffic to your website: You can include a link to your website in your Instagram Story and drive traffic to your site.
- Use Instagram Stories to leverage Instagram's features : Instagram Stories has many features like IGTV, Live, Boomerang, etc that can be used to make your stories more engaging.
By following these tips, you can use Instagram Stories to increase engagement and reach on the platform, promote your products or services, and build a community around your brand.
Reason 6: Not interacting with other users
Interacting with other users on Instagram can be a valuable strategy for businesses looking to increase engagement and reach on the platform. Here are a few reasons why interacting with other users can be beneficial for businesses:
First, engaging with other users can help to build a community around your brand. By responding to comments, direct messages, and mentions, you can create a sense of connection with your followers and make them feel more invested in your brand. This can lead to increased engagement on your posts and a higher likelihood that your followers will share your content with their own followers.
Second, interacting with other users can also help you to reach a wider audience. When you engage with other users, their followers may also see your interactions, which can lead to more visibility for your brand. Additionally, if you engage with users who have a large following, they may be more likely to share your content with their own followers, which can help to increase your reach.
Lastly, Interacting with other users can help you to get insights into what your target audience is interested in. By paying attention to the types of comments and questions that other users ask, you can get a sense of what topics are resonating with your target audience, which can help you to create more relevant and engaging content in the future.
In conclusion, interacting with other users on Instagram can be a valuable strategy for businesses looking to increase engagement and reach on the platform. It can help to build a community around your brand, reach a wider audience and get insights into what your target audience is interested in.
Reason 7: Not targeting the right audience
If you are not targeting the right audience it can be hard to grow your following, and your content may not be reaching the people who are most likely to engage with it.
Choosing the right audience on Instagram for your business is key to the success of your social media marketing efforts. One way to do this is by researching and identifying the demographics, interests, and behaviors of your target audience. Another way is to use Instagram's targeting options such as location, age, gender, interests, behaviors and more, when promoting your content. You can read more on how to choose the right audience here.
Defining your target audience on Instagram is an important step in creating content that resonates with your potential customers and helps you build a strong brand presence on the platform. Here are a few steps to help you define your target audience on Instagram:
- Identify your ideal customer: Consider the demographics, interests, and pain points of your ideal customer. For example, think about their age, gender, income level, education, and location.
- Analyze your current audience: Look at the demographics of your current Instagram followers to identify patterns and trends. You can use Instagram's built-in analytics to see the age, gender, and location of your followers.
- Research your competitors: Look at the demographics of your competitors' followers to identify patterns and trends. Use tools such as Instagram's Insights, or third-party analytics platforms such as Iconosquare or Sprout Social.
- Identify common characteristics: Look for common characteristics among your ideal customer, current audience, and your competitors' followers. Use these characteristics to create a detailed profile of your target audience.
- Create personas: Create detailed personas of your target audience, including their demographics, interests, pain points, and behaviors. These personas can help you create content that resonates with your target audience.
- Monitor your target audience: Keep an eye on the demographics of your target audience as it can change over time and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Once you have defined your target audience, you can use this information to create content that resonates with them, as well as to identify opportunities to connect with them through Instagram features such as Instagram Stories, IGTV, Reels and Shops. You can also use this information to identify influencers in your industry whose audiences align with your target audience, and potentially partner with them to expand your reach.
These are some common reasons why an Instagram account may not be growing, but it's important to remember that growing an account takes time and effort.
As always, we're here to help. Book a consultation with our Instagram Expert to find out how we can help your business grow.